Friday, September 3, 2010

Tutorial: Car Seat Canopy

Jamie, you wanted to know how to make a car seat cover...
here is my version!


1. Cut your 2 pieces of fabric as close to 36 inches as you can (this way you only have to buy 1 yard of your top fabric) x 40". I buy 1 1/4 yard of my bottom fabric.
2. Place the two pieces of fabric right sides together 
NOTE: if you want to applique a design onto your front (like I did with "BSU", you'll want to put that on first before step number two.
3. Cut 2 pieces for straps 3 1/2" x 15 1/2"
4. To make straps; fold them hot dog style, and sew all but one edge. Turn it inside out, fold in the open edge, and then sew around the edges (1/4" seam). I used a different color of thread here as an accent color. See picture below!
5. Now sew your two large pieces of fabric (remember right sides together) leaving about a 6 inch opening.
6. Turn it inside out, then fold in and pin the opening.
7. Sew around the edge of the whole cover and as you do so, this should close that 6 inch opening. This is where you can do a fun decorative stitch and even pick a different top and bottom color of thread to make things interesting!
8. Lastly, sew on your straps! You'll want to fold them in half and pin them 14" from the top and 12" from each side of your cover. Sew a little square to hold the strap. Sew it to all the layers of fabric! I also went over the square twice to really make sure it holds. 






- The straps are just made to be tied to your car seat. If you tie them in a knot it ends up looking really cute.
- Have fun, and be creative! You can do more than one fabric, like I've done here. Or if you only have scraps you can sew strips of fabric together until it is long enough to make a cover. Add your own personal touch!
- I made the letters by typing them in in Microsoft Word and then formating them to only be outlined, I printed them out and cut them out, using them as my pattern to cut the fabric out. I did a zig-zag stitch to sew them onto the orange fabric.

Enjoy and let me know if you have questions; I want to make sure this works for you!

No comments: