Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Cam" Tie for Little Boys - Tutorial

My friend and I call these "Cam" ties because they look like the shirts Cameron wears on the TV show Modern Family. We think they're pretty fun. You can also cut this pattern down to make a tie for an infant if you trust yourself enough to try. I don't think it'd be that hard.


I had the opportunity to make this tie from The Purl Bee. It came out cute but I would definitely machine sew it rather than by hand. It took myself and a friend a good three hours from start to finish using that tutorial! We didn't do any interfacing and the ties work just fine so you can decide if you want to or not. I'd use it if you decide to make a tie out of silk though!

Using the pattern from The Purl Bee's website, here is how I would put the tie together:

1. First off, follow the directions on The Purl Bee's website, but when you sew, do these steps below.
2. Put the right sides together and sew:

3. Machine sew across to join the two tie parts. Right sides together again:

4. When ironing your tie before the final step, split the seam in half and iron it down:

 5. Fold tie in half and sew down on the opposite side of the point only. Make sure you backstitch. I also set my fabric to follow the 10 line on my sewing machine (under the foot). That is about a half inch seam. That will make up for not hand stitching it. 

Ta Da! 


1 comment:

Renae said...

Thank you so much for this I was wanting to make ties for Owen, but didn't know where to start. Thanks!!! Very cute fabric, I love it