Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunshine Quilt


I made this quilt for my sister-in-law who lives in California. I thought these colors fit the California lifestyle perfectly. Hopefully I am right! This pattern is called "Sunshine Makes Me Happy" by Donna Kinsey in her book, Strip Happy: Quilting on a Roll. I LOVE every single pattern this book has and have made most all of them! I highly recommend it; especially for beginner sewers. 




Pros of this Pattern:
I've done this pattern multiple times which means I really like it! It's quick and simple (of which I am ALL about).

You can make this with a jelly roll.


Cons of this Pattern:
For a lap quilt size, the backing takes a lot of fabric if you want it to be all the same. I decided to piece mine together so I wouldn't have to spend too much money.

I wish this made a bigger quilt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too love this pattern. I even used it as the second project while teaching my 16 year old niece how to quilt. She did a wonderful job and was proud of her finished project. You can make it bigger by adding more columns and rows of the rectangles. Of course you may need two jelly rolls!

Anonymous said...

I found that there was an error in the instructions. The dark blue horizontal stripes need to be cut at 2 1/2 X 7. Sewing three 2 1/2" strips together you have 2.5 + 2.0 + 2.5 (due to seam) = 7, not 6 1/2 so I did alot of trimming, broke my first rule, make 1 square first. It is a beautiful quilt and I enjoyed making it.